August 30, 2010

The Art of Tauba Auerbach

Much of her work is about binary opposites, and the idea that the thing is not always the thing, sometimes it’s the exact opposite of the thing. She is equally as fascinated by the patterns that emerge from the chaos of television static, as the chaos of human error that occurs when she attempts to create a perfectly repeating pattern.

She once wrote a series of statements logically proving that Yes equals No. I love this kind of stuff.

I especially love her series of colourful anagrams (using the same letters to form two different words or phrases) and her series of reconstructed typewriters. The typewriters were modified so that characters and keys were all mixed up and you had to kind of figure out the pattern through trial and error. “A” might have typed “B”, and “B” typed “C” etc.





I wonder if she's equal parts artist and math-enthusiast. I have always been a fan of logic-puzzles and lateral thinking books, and when I look at her work I get excited about it in a similar way.





I think there is a real sense of wonder and adventure to it all, like a child drawing a blueprint for a time machine.
http://www.taubaauerbach.com
http://www.rvca.com/anpq/issues.html

No comments: